HomeFAQPortalCalendarSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Those who want death need to live

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mendax

PostSubject: Those who want death need to live    Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 22:02

Time passed, she forgot about her family and gave up on the prospect of creating a new one. No one ever visited the lake where she resided. They believed it to be dangerous, and because of her. She wasn't scary, but she didn't interact with anyone and she never left the lake. Being away from the water for so long so many years ago had stolen away her strength, and she had never tried to steal it back. Even stepping out of the water for even a moment made her weak, so most of the time she stayed in the water. Being alone was hard for her. She wasn't the type of equine that live without companionship, and she couldn't get used to not having anyone around. Her heart hurt everyday because of this. She became depressed, not willing to leave her cave until she was starving. Her body was extremely emaciated, her ribs able to be seen from afar. Only the water was keeping her alive now, the strength it gave her allowing her to stand and eat when she needed to. Sometimes she would just float in the water, her head submerged, just staring down at the bottom. Some of the sea animals attempted to help, bringing her seaweed to eat, but she refused it by turning her head away. She could not bare to eat. She wanted to die rather than live her immortal life alone. Her heart broke every morning and spent all day trying to repair itself, only to break again the next morning. She was truly becoming the monster everyone had thought her to be. Her mane became tangled in the water grasses, her coat gained a shiny sheen to it that could only be formed by spending too much time in water, and it held a green tint. Her eyes were dull, almost gray, holding no shine. She did not age, but she became hideous to look at. The algae from the bottom covered her, blocking the white orca-like markings from view. If she tried, she could clean herself up between blinks. But being starved had taken what strength had been left, so even the most simple task of breathing was a struggle. But she lived on, unable to die unless someone killed her. Or took her from the water, which would still be killing her. She would have done it herself many days ago, but didn't have the resolve to commit suicide. Instead, she lived within her head while her body drifted in the water, replaying scenarios that would never happen, torturing herself with imagination.  
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patchwork-Hearts

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 22:14

Jack looked up to see a lake with one horse standing inside of it. He'd contemplated whether to approach or not, and decided he would just make himself invisible. He walked through the few leaves on the ground and realized fall was approaching and soon after would become time for snow, time for him. 
He stood just outside the lake; still invisible and watched the horse.
Hello my name is Jack and I'm this snow horse thing- no..
He hadn't talked to another horse in years and just stood there watching. He closed his eyes tight and a light breeze swept through his mane.
He peered at his reflection in the water. He was visible again. Standing there; disgusted by what he saw, he still decided against his conscience and walked into the water.
His mane went every direction, half his face covered by the tangled mess he called a forelock.
"Augh no.." he muttered under his breath. The water around him began to freeze; and he realized he had to get out if he didn't want to turn the lake to ice.
He walked back to shore and stood there looking at his reflection.
"Maybe if I- that's not it... What about if I?- oh well." Jack looked up at the sky and stood there as if he was waiting for something. But nothing happened.

"Hello." he spoke fairly soft; but hoped the horse in the water had heard him.
"I-um.. hi" Jack stuttered, he hadn't spoke to anyone in years and wasn't sure of how to speak anymore.
He stood still waiting for a reply

Mendax

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 22:47

Her breath caught in her lungs, her mind not daring to believe. Her ears twitched, the first sign of life in hours. They caught to voice again, and her eyes snapped open. At first she could just listen, trying to figure out if her mind had started to play tricks on her to get her to save herself. Deciding she might as well check, just to be sure, she tried to lift her head up. She hadn't realized how hard it would be, how much strength it would require. She tried again, and then tried to move. But it was no use, her strength was gone and it would not come back until she got food in her system and rested. She let out a strangled cry of frustration and sorrow that shook her whole body, and her legs could finally hold her weight no longer. She submerged fully, drifting through the water to finally rest on the bottom. The lake animals followed her down, sad to see her in such a state. They pushed her along the bottom and then onto the shore, being sure she was still in the water though. The otters pulled seaweed up and set it by her mouth, but the mare was unable to move even an inch to get it. She could finally see who had spoken though, and her heart leapt. It was another equine. As the otters pushed the food into her mouth in an attempt to help her eat it, she stared at him. Her blue eye was visible through her mess of a forelock and it flamed with life. She wanted to speak, to stand and be strong. Instead, she was weak and vulnerable. She could do nothing to protect herself, and even though the otters would try, they would be unable to stop an attack.
The mare felt cold. She couldn't figure out why though. Her body was the same temperature as the water, which was warm, and the air was only slightly colder. So the frigid breeze she felt must be a part of her imagination, because winter wasn't to come for another week or so... Confused, she turned her eye back on the stallion, watching him with curiosity and fear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patchwork-Hearts

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 23:00

Jack stepped back as the the mare was dragged near shore. He looked at her, concern in his eyes.
The air grew colder by the second.
"A-are you okay?" he spoke slowly.
The mare looked starving, and immobile. Jack walked away and pulled a mouthful of dry grass from a nearby patch, he dropped it next to her face.
He looked at her sadly, wondering what had happened.
"You should at least try and eat the uh.. grass, it's nice" Jack spoke in almost a whisper.
He felt a tickle on his back, and looked around to see it began snowing around him. The temperature dropped immensely from what it had been a few minutes ago.
"I-I'll stand a bit further back.." he looked down at the ground and kept his eyes there. The only reason it had gotten so cold was because of him. He took winter with him.
The amount of cold that radiated from him seemed to be completely random at times.
Jack waited for the mare to eat the food layed out in front of her and looked all around him, until he felt his eyes staring at the mare, and then spoke softly.
"I don't want to hurt you... I just thought i should make that clear, and I hope you-um.. feel better soon" his voice trembled and slowly steadied itself towards the end of his sentence.
The ground under his hooves was a thick sheet of ice now, and he tried to cover it hoping that the mare wouldn't notice it had just appeared from nowhere, as did the snow that was falling.

Mendax

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Sun 29 Sep 2013 - 0:42

The seaweed and grass barely helped at all. The seaweed was heaven to her starving body, but the grass was hell. It was dry and felt like it was cutting it's way down her throat into her stomach. It was not what she needed, but she ate it because he was trying to be kind, and it was still food. Barely. She was trying to figure out why it was getting colder with each passing second when it started to snow. Surprised, her eye followed a flake as it drifted to a rest on the ground before her. Snowflakes mesmerized her, because they were a part of her, but not. They were made of water, but they were not liquid. Basically what she was. If she were strong enough, and learned how, Mendax could turn herself into water and vanish into the lake. She used to be able to do so, and much more. But all those abilities wasted away with her body. The bit of food she had eaten gave her enough strength to lift her head and grab at the seaweed tangled in the mess that was her mane. After getting all she could reach, the mare turned back to the stallion and addressed his questions.
"Well, I am not dying, so I would say that may qualify as my version of 'okay', but if you're version of 'okay' differs from mine, please inform me, and I will rethink my answer and change it if that is required. And you need not stand back. The cold that emanates from you does not bother me. Ice is merely a frozen form of water, which is what I am made of. I can handle being frozen. In fact, it may help. So stop attempting to hide that which you are, and tell me your name." She was amused by his attempts. He was afraid of hurting her, and it made her respect him. She was still wary of him, but no longer afraid. In fact, he seemed more afraid than she. She lay gathering her strength, hoping she had enough to move herself into the water. If she could just get into the water, she'd sink to the bottom, where the seaweed thrived, and she could eat until she could eat no more, and gain enough strength to actually be presentable, not just a body lying on the shore, pathetic and weak.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patchwork-Hearts

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Sun 29 Sep 2013 - 15:50

He stepped forward, once he heard her say it might help.
"My...name?" he looked around and thought for a while.
After about a minute of thinking, he turned back around to face her, and finally answered her question.
"Jack.. Frosted, Jack Frosted." he had forgotten his own name after not needing to say it for the longest time.
"What about you?.. I mean-uh, what about your name? what is it?" he spoke slowly, and took pauses.
The ice was growing thicker now, and the mare already knew the cold came from him; but she didn't know why.
Every year, Jack brought winter to Myst, and took it away with him. He came into the land unnoticed, and left that way.
Jack always vanished himself, as it was that most horses around here hated his winters. He didn't want to speak with them face to face, and hear the complaints they had for him.
"Oh and is there- is there something I can do to...help you?" Jack asked the mare.

Mendax

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Sun 29 Sep 2013 - 22:25

The cold made her feel stronger. It froze the water that covered her, and the water inside of her. She was quite used to it, since she froze like this every winter. Her lake was not big enough to stay liquid during the winters, but only the top would freeze. Throughout the winter, Mendax would reside on the bottom, eating the seaweeds and storing energy. Feeling stronger, thanks to his power, she pushed herself up. It was harder than she had thought, but she was able to get to her feet and stand without falling. Her body made cracking noises as she stood, which would normally be alarming but were quite normal considering her condition. And being covered in ice basically. She smiled tiredly at Jack Frosted and considered how to answer his question. Not the first one of course, she knew her name, but the second. He had already helped, and she couldn't see how he would be able to get into the water to get food before it froze.
"I am Mendax. It is a pleasure to meet you Jack Frosted. I have heard murmurs about you from the creatures of the trees and lake. Some seem quite fond of you, but by the time you appear, they are already asleep. And you have done what you can. There is nothing else I can think of for you to aid me. You are quite welcome to stick around if you wish. But for the moment I should get some food while I can. I shall be right back." With that, she threw herself into the water. The thin layer of ice on the top shattered under her weight and she traveled to the bottom of the lake. First she ate as much seaweed as possible, filling herself up, and then she gathered what she would need through the winter, since it looked as if she would be spending it above this year. Satisfied with what she got, she made her way to the shore again, breaking through the ice with only a little difficulty. Dropping the seaweed onto the ice next to her, she turned back to Jack. Her coat was now shining, no longer covered in mud and algae. Her markings were visible and her eyes were bright and both watching him. Her mane no longer held seaweed in it and hung down her neck, somehow staying silky despite the cold and it being wet.
"So what brings you to this lake?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patchwork-Hearts

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Sun 29 Sep 2013 - 23:56

Jack watched the mare carefully and stayed put in one spot.
"what brings me here?" he repeated her question.
"I wander all around myst but I am never seen by others... Watch" he smiled at her and faded away.
Jack crept up behind her and allowed himself to be visible again.
"hi" he said quietly and laughed as he walked back in front of her.
"I like doing that.. It's quite amusing" Jack played with the snow around him and layed down to start rolling in it.
"you like the cold?" he asked, growing more comfortable with speaking by the minute. He remembered the times he couldn't shut up. This mare was polite and didn't seem as though she would harm him, so he felt more comfortable.
Jack opened his mouth wide to yawn, a flurry of snowflakes escaped. He moved his head closer to the ground and began inspecting the snowflakes

Mendax

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 8:43

She watched as he relaxed. Mendax herself would never be able to relax like that again, but it was refreshing to see it happen. She smiled as he reappeared behind her, but didn't move. She really couldn't, being frozen in the water. Well, she could move her head, but a moment later he moved to stand in front of her again. As he spoke, ice traveled up her legs, freezing her in place. She was deep enough in the water that she would be okay for the winter, since the lake only froze on the top. She could feel the water below the ice, cool on her hooves. It would be enough for her to survive, and if she had too, she could always break the ice to get under it. For now, she was alright, and she tuned back into his speaking as he asked a question.
"I do not mind it. The summers are worse, when the water begins to dry up. Cold brings with it water, even if it is frozen, it is still water. It is easier to be out of the water in the cold. So yes, I do believe I like the cold. At least, quite a bit more than the summer, hot seasons. I do not believe I have to ask if you enjoy this weather." She watched him inspect what he created, amused by his young soul. She couldn't tell how old he was, but he seemed young. At least, he acted like it. She didn't mind, just happy for the company.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patchwork-Hearts

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 19:34

Jack looked back up at her and sighed.
"I just wish I wasn't so cold sometimes.." he started
"It's really annoying and I-" he stopped; realizing complaining would get him nowhere.
"Anyway, why is it you stick around this lake so much?" Jack wasn't fond of water.. he was scared of it in fact.
As a foal, he died in a lake attempting to save his younger sister. She was fine but as he was going to get off, after helping her, the ice cracked beneath him and he fell under and died. Jack did not know his past though, all he knew was that his name was Jack, and he could create snow and ice.

"I mean... its not that there is anything wrong with it in my opinion" he lied.
Jack stood up and paced around, he shouldn't be in myst yet.. Winter wasn't to come for another month.
"I should g-" he stopped himself realizing he hadn't given the mare a chance to speak.

Mendax

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 19:55

Her heart fell as he turned to go. He was going to leave, and she would once again be alone in her lake. Sighing, she watched him as he turned, but felt her heart leap when he stopped, only to realize he was just waiting for her reply. Sadly, Mendax looked down and decided to answer him truthfully.
"I cannot leave the water... I could at one point, but something happened a long time ago that made it so I now cannot step away from it unless I wish to become very weak. It is quite obnoxious at times, but the lake is my home. I could not leave, even if I wished to." She lifted her eyes to watch him through her forelock, not allowing any of her sadness or disappointment show. Her stance suggested that she was tired, and she was, but really she stood that way because she was bracing herself for the pain she would feel when he left, the loneliness and despair. She resolved herself to live a lonely life, in her lake, never interacting with anyone. She would build her strength though, relearn her abilities, and maybe try to walk on land again. To live a normal life, she would have to learn how to live her own, out of the water. She would always have to be near a water source though, and probably emerge herself into it once every day. But it would be a better life than she lived now. She could have a family, friends, and reality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patchwork-Hearts

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 20:22

Jack's heart sunk as she said she couldn't leave water.
"Oh.. okay." he looked down, dissapointed. He walked back in front of her, and asked yet another question.
"Why can't you leave water?" he frowned and looked at the water in front of him. It scared him and as happy as he felt to finally have someone to talk to, he couldn't stand being near water.

Mendax

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 21:05

Confused by his sudden return, she was about to ask why he had not left yet, but was answered by his question. She considered this for a moment, trying to pull up the memory that she had buried so long ago. He deserved the truth, not just a story made up in the moment. He had helped her after all, and she could see his comfort was generally gone as he got closer to the water. She felt sorry for him but at the same time relieved that he was closer. She liked the nearness of another being of the same species. It was a relief to not be alone.
"Let us see... I am a Water Nymph. After I was born, I was kidnapped by a stallion. He raised me near water, knowing what I was, but he was just using me. To escape, I ran away from the water, knowing he would think I ran along the lake. I misjudged how long I could be from water, and soon it was too much to bear. I collapsed, and then woke up on the shore of this lake later. I do not know who helped me, but I have been here, unable to leave the water unless I wish to grow weak, ever since. It is quite a weakness, and not one I tell lightly. Your ice helped me, because I am made of water, and being frozen allows me to feel stronger and stand when I could not before. I suppose I could leave in the winter, seeing as how snow is just frozen water, but I have not tried it because there has never been anyone around to help if it does not work. I guess I could try now, but I do not think you would be comfortable having to drag me back into the water if it fails." She tilted her head to the side, watching him, recording his reactions and expressions into her mind to store for the future, when she would be alone again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patchwork-Hearts

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 21:24

He listened, hearing that his snow, his winter had actually helped someone.
"So you mean... you live in the water?" he walked closer and stepped in carefully and slowly.
"What is it like down there?" He looked down, even though he wasn't deep in he kept going further, first closing his eyes, then squeezing them shut.
"Jack! help me! Jack!" a little filly cried, as a young jack rushed onto ice and pushed her out of the way. The ice beneath him began to crack and he fell through. Everything faded to black. 
Jack opened his eyes wide and began to gasp for air, although his head was still above water. He started panicking and kicked about. Stepping into the water triggered a memory for him.
"No! NO! Please don't take me! Please I need to make sure she's okay! Please..please" he began sobbing and then his body collapsed into the water.

Mendax

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 22:56

"Yes, I reside in the water. Only because once when I was younger I left it for too long and fainted. Someone brought me here, I do not know who, but I have been unable to leave the water since." She watched him with concern as he stepped forwards and kept walking deeper into the water. When he started to kick and thrash, she stood frozen in confusion. Only when he submerged in the water did she react. Diving after him, she searched the water until she could see his form on the bottom. He had not gotten too deep, so she was easily able to push him up onto the shore. By the time she got him above the water, her muzzle was freezing. Her breath came out in puffs, and she felt frost bitten. But she continued to push him up until he was fully out of the lake. She stood staring at him, concerned and afraid for him, and confused.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patchwork-Hearts

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 23:03

Jack woke up around ten minutes later.
"please don't let it take me" he whispered, crying.
Suddenly he snapped his head up and looked around him.
"what happened? Why am I crying.. " he stood up, legs shaking once he saw the water again. 
Jack did not know that this was the only thing he would ever learn about himself.
He died in water, saving his younger sister. 
"I...I remember now" he whispered and look at the snow beneath his hooves

Mendax

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Wed 2 Oct 2013 - 18:56

Concerned, Mendax did not move from where she stood. Truthfully, she couldn't actually move. She was frozen to the ground where she stood, but the seaweed was in reach, so she did not mind. Her heart leapt when his head snapped up and she let out a heavy sigh of relief.
"You stepped into the water and then collapsed..." She let her voice drift into silence as she watched his face and watched as he remembered. Mendax's blue and green eyes were sadly watching him, curious to know what happened and sympathetic. She didn't question him, just stood quietly, waiting for him to give up the information on his own if he so desired. She brought her head down to the ice that locked her hooves to the ground, nosing it gently. It helped her stand, so she didn't mind it. She would break it if she had too, but at that moment, she wished to look strong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patchwork-Hearts

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Mon 21 Oct 2013 - 22:13

"Oh.. I . sorry"
Jack looked away, he stood up and moved further from her.
"Also, I didn't mean to freeze the lake.." He said, with a hint of fear in his voice.
Jack shifted his weight back and forth awkwardly.
"So... uh. I should go, I mean. I am not even supposed to be here. I just-" he stopped and looked away for a moment, then quickly looked back.
"I don't like traveling alone. It just bothers me. But you can't leave water." He looked up at her, he was shaking. His grey eyes looked at her sadly and then he decided to look away once more.

Mendax

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Mon 21 Oct 2013 - 22:26

"Do not worry about the ice. It is actually helping me at the moment." Mendax smiled at him, but after a moment her smile faded. She didn't want him to leave, to make her alone once again. She wished dearly that she could follow him, and she probably could. But the mare was terrified of leaving the water, even with so much snow around and with the creator of the snow in front of her. The feeling of the water against her hooves was comforting and recognizable. If she stepped away from it and into the snow, it'd be leaving a piece of her behind. And if they ever hit a spot with not enough snow and no water nearby... Shaking her head to rid herself of the thoughts racing through her head, the water nymph looked back at Jack with her bi-colored eyes. It was the shaking that got to her. She couldn't tell if he was afraid or... she didn't know. But she did know that she could at least try to survive in the snow. Lowering her head, Mendax gathered the rest of the seaweed and swallowed it. Taking a big breath, the mare pulled her hooves from the ice with only a tiny bit of effort and stepped across the rest of the ice, fear sliding through her veins with her blood. She stood about a foot from the water, in the snow, tensed and ready to leap back in at the smallest feeling of weakness. After a moment of feeling nothing except the absence of the cool liquid on her hooves, Mendax looked up at Jack, her eyes dancing.
"I do believe that, as long as there is snow and ice, I can move on land my friend."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patchwork-Hearts

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Mon 21 Oct 2013 - 22:32

Jack watched her carefully, he smiled.
"Alright.. where would you like to go? Because it never stops being cold around me.. Thats why I always end up alone" he looked away as soon as he finished his sentence.
He closed his eyes and the snow-fall increased, becoming colder, and harder to see through.
"Let me know how much snow you need." he spoke softly, still shaking.

Mendax

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    Thu 24 Oct 2013 - 19:05

She didn't particularly have any certain place she wished to go. Her home was this lake and her mind was a blur of memories, of which she was unable to retrieve a clear one from. She knew of nothing else, so she didn't know what she wished to go see. She was nervous about leaving the lake and the sanctuary of the water, but being alone was even more terrifying. So she stepped farther away from the water, tense and ready to bolt if she started to feel the affects of dehydration. But the snow was enough to keep her on her hooves and feel fine.
"I have nowhere to go, so go where ever you like and I'll follow my friend."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Those who want death need to live    

Back to top Go down

Those who want death need to live
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Lakes Territory :: Lower Lakes Territory-
Jump to: