Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

a mere shadow

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
viperidae

viperidae

a mere shadow Empty
PostSubject: a mere shadow   a mere shadow I_icon_minitimeFri 30 Nov 2012 - 1:36

The night creatures sung sweetly, a mix of chirps and growls, of hisses and soft hoots.
The gentle crunch of hooves on leaves. The shadow elegantly stepped into a clearing, raising the smooth, off-white face to the celestial light of the moon. The tall figurine might have been a demon, but it wasn't.

A black and white tie was dangling from its neck, matching the rest of the equines body perfectly.
Calder didn't remember how he'd gotten it. The tie had grown as he had. That was all.
He hummed, a low sound that vibrated off his throat and into the air, not a particularly scary sound from such a strange creature. Calder didn't sleep, so his nights were awfully lonely.

His head bent down towards a cricket that chirped near his feet.
The cricket wasn't afraid of him, he mused ruefully.

He stepped around the cricket into the center of the small clearing, his ears flicking and switching their directions, making sure there weren't any Lydes coming out to try and get a snack.
The damned animals were like snakes venom, poisoning the land with illness and death.

Calder wasn't afraid of them.
But Calder respected them, predators were predators, and if you were careful, you could live.
He sighed.

And as he did, the forest lived on, the heartbeat was the sounds of the creatures that lived there, the breath was the air that rustled the leaves and branches, the grass.
The forest was always alive.

Calder was a mere shadow in comparison.
His head stretched towards the earth below, a quick nibble of grass, fangs glinted in the milky rays of the moon.
He waited for something interesting to happen.
Back to top Go down
Masquerade

Masquerade

a mere shadow Empty
PostSubject: Re: a mere shadow   a mere shadow I_icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2012 - 2:35

It had been a long day. But finally the dark of twilight crept over the forest, the damp smell of moss and soil tinged the mares nose. It was a decision, she made, that she was only passing through. By morning she had hoped to reach ground higher into the mountains, but that probably wasn't to be.

Eventually the white limbs carrying the horse grew weary. They struggled through roots and bushes and she stumbled a few times. Thankfully her hair was staying out the way this time.

With another trip into a bush full of prickles she let out a shrill shriek. A flock of birds screeched with her, their peaceful sleep being shattered by the lumbering horse. They flew at her and one managed to almost get tangled in her mass of a mane. Flinging it from her presence she looked around. In the moonlight stood a deer? No, she should know better than to judge something by it's antlers...

It clearly would have heard her, she probably had less than thirty seconds before it found her. That's if...
It hadn't already. And god knows she'd come across too many new horses today.

So Maple did what she thought, she did best. She hid.
Back to top Go down
viperidae

viperidae

a mere shadow Empty
PostSubject: Re: a mere shadow   a mere shadow I_icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2012 - 3:01

The silence was shattered by a flock of birds taking into flight in the night air, screeching in surprise and fright.
The wings flapped nosily as their slumber was broken, a crash was heard. There was rustling.

Calder's delicate, slender ears flicked furiously in order to keep up with these noises. He raised his head, turning it towards the direction of the intrusion and observed.
The carefully placed steps were heard in gentle, soft crunches as the stallion; concerned if someone was in danger, and the tiniest bit curious began towards the now silent line of trees and bushes.

It was then that Calder stopped, when he was in the darkness, allowing himself to adjust to the gray, bleak world.
His head turned, perking ears.
There was gentle breathing.

And the smallest bit of white, tangled hair in a bush, it lead off in a trail.
Calder followed it, and then paused, lowering his head to sniff at the long tangled string of mane.. or perhaps tail.
It appeared to be a mare who had been the cause of the noise.

"Miss," Calder's voice was soft and low, as if speaking to a startled animal. "Are you alright, miss?"
His ears swiveled, trying to locate her location. "There was crashing, ma'dam, and the flocks startled. I am concerned as of your health, you are not being chased I presume?"
Back to top Go down
Masquerade

Masquerade

a mere shadow Empty
PostSubject: Re: a mere shadow   a mere shadow I_icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2012 - 3:16

Clearly hiding is not my forte. Maybe I should just burst into flames next time. Yes that sounds good.
The creature was so close to her tail she flicked it, it made a loud swoosh, the impact would have been like a riding crop to the face.

Maple jumped sideways her gangly legs trembled fiercely. This creature she soon realized had no eyes.
"W-what are you?!" She managed to squeak, her whole body shaking in fright. At least, she thought, she was normal again. Not terrified into madness, well... She wasn't so terrified she retaliated with violence...besides from the tail lashing.

"I-i am f-fine." She gaped, stepping backwards still in a panic. How she longed to be with her newly found guardian. Oh goodness that would have been wonderful. "B-but, I think it's not me you should worry for, you have no eyes you see..B-but you can't see...Can you?" She slunk into a little compact ball of muscle, like a spring ready to uncoil at any given second.

Back to top Go down
viperidae

viperidae

a mere shadow Empty
PostSubject: Re: a mere shadow   a mere shadow I_icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2012 - 3:40

Calder stepped back, startled as a sharp flash of pain smacked his muzzle.
The tall figurine shook his head, there was red liquid dripping down his face in a tiny line from the mares lash of her tail.
It was understandable, of course, a strange creature in the night would startle anyone with a mind, this poor cremello was a example.

"I am sorry, ma'dam, I did not mean any harm, or to frighten you in the least." Calder angled his head to look at her.. without eyes. "It's not polite to speak of myself, but I assure you that I mean you no harm. I can, however, tell you that I can see you perfectly well, ma'dam, I have always been without eyes."

Calder carefully lowered himself to one leg, bowing, before lifting himself up again.
"I am Calder, miss, do accept my humble apologies for not introducing myself formally to you immediately. And now, ma'dam, please do not take offense, for I mean none, but it is in your best interest as well as mine. These woods are dangerous at night, full of creatures who mean ill for you."
Back to top Go down
Masquerade

Masquerade

a mere shadow Empty
PostSubject: Re: a mere shadow   a mere shadow I_icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2012 - 6:52

Maple glanced at the slight trickle of blood shed on Calders muzzle.
"I-it's fine, I-er spook easily. So..I should be sorry for that. I am terribly clumsy so that doesn't help in my case what-so-ever." Maple took a tentative step forward. She felt incredibly small next to the strange equine, as an ant might feel to a boot.

The cremello mare let out a shy giggle, "It's been a w-while since I've h-heard s-someone say it is not polite for someone to speak of themselves. A-a, while, indeed." Though she didn't mind her old silver eyed companions ramblings, about himself and other things he could manage to put into his scrambled brain, Maple was glad to have some peace. "You speak with an old tongue, I haven't h-heard it much lately. Horses aren't at all formal like I once knew." She glanced at her hooves, "And now you've got me started! They'll think I've g-gone mad..."

Or madder...

"It's a p-pleasure to meet you, Calder." She nodded. "I-i am Maple, though a-at the moment I do not b-believe I am worthy of my name." She mused quietly. Maple glanced around, flicking the hair from her eyes, "They are full of creatures who want to harm things. B-but as you have proven, in the flesh, I am never alone. Alas I am never truly alone. Nor, I fear, I ever will be."
Back to top Go down
viperidae

viperidae

a mere shadow Empty
PostSubject: Re: a mere shadow   a mere shadow I_icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2012 - 4:30

"It is as if it has never happened," Calder accepted the mares apology. "You do not seem to be ill of the mind, ma'dam. It is a pleasure to be your acquaintance." He listened to the mare, being polite as he was, did not ask of her troubles.
"Do go ahead of me into the clearing, then, ma'dam. If you are going somewhere, you may leave tomorrow at the first light of dawn, when the creatures whom roam that would wish you harm are few. I will accompany you to your destination, as it is dangerous for you to be alone miss. Many who travel these woods alone do not return to their friends alive."

Calder stated gravely, then added kindly; "And yet I do not wish to scare you, ma'dam. Do not concern over these things. You must have come a distance in your travels, a safe rest would do you well."

He stepped out of the way, allowing her entrance into the moonlit clearing. Calder would go last, as was fit for stallions to do.
Back to top Go down
Masquerade

Masquerade

a mere shadow Empty
PostSubject: Re: a mere shadow   a mere shadow I_icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2012 - 6:18

"Mmm"
Maple let the loss of words roll of her tongue. She just hoped this, Calder, knew what he was doing inviting someone of her type into his clearing. She was dangerous. Not that she'd want to do any harm to anyone. But danger comes in many forms, or so she had pounded it into her head.

The thin white figure gave a small, curt, nod. She accepted Calders polite gestures to accompany her in the journey higher up the mountains. Though it would be nice to have some company, Maple couldn't keep the thought of having two horses tramping around the Myst would make more of a scene than just herself.
"I suppose it wouldn't be of any harm to rest for the rest of the night. It has been a long day."

Stepping into the clearing tail high, she stood in the moonlight, the soft glow bouncing off her illuminated coat.
"Tell me, Calder, what brings you to the Myst?"
Maple flicked her ears listening to the peaceful serenade or the forest.
Back to top Go down
viperidae

viperidae

a mere shadow Empty
PostSubject: Re: a mere shadow   a mere shadow I_icon_minitimeSat 8 Dec 2012 - 1:04

"I was searching for more like me, ma'dam," Calder answered her question, it was not very explanatory, but Calder never was one to enjoy speaking of himself.
There was peaceful silence for a few minutes, and Calder returned to his gazing of the moon.

The silence was shattered by screaming. Calder turned his head quickly towards the forest.
What now?
He quickly began to head in that direction, then stopped short as the angered hooting of a owl and crashing hooves were heard. Calder was confused, what place did a owl have in this?

There was a streak of a pale golden coat, of which was screaming.
Calder decided this was a very, very strange night.

Oxy practically impaled his face on the tree in the clearing, still screaming from the angry owl which followed him, and promptly fainted, falling over on the ground with a thud.

Calder took a confused, slightly anxious step towards the horse, shooing away the owl, and looked concerned down at the mass of limbs and a head.
What was going on?
Back to top Go down
Masquerade

Masquerade

a mere shadow Empty
PostSubject: Re: a mere shadow   a mere shadow I_icon_minitimeSat 8 Dec 2012 - 1:25

Deciding not to talk, her stutter getting the best of her around this new horse she nodded in response.
She hung her head, her eye lids feeling rather heavy. Just as she began to doze off, the silence was shattered.

That, idiot.

Oxymoron had returned, who else could be getting chased by birds at this hour. Before she could react there was a blur of gold, the sudden movement catching her off-guard. Jumping to the side her hooves slid on the damp ground and for a moment she thought she would end up falling over. Again. Snorting Maple sorted out her legs, commanding them silently to stand still. Blue eyes glanced around. There he was lying on the ground next to a tree. Wandering over she looked at Calder, "When he wakes up question him on why he is here. Hopefully he's lost a few memories with the impact from the tree. In case he asks, I was never here got it?"

Maple turned with a swish of her tail and walked into the forest, to sit, wait and watch.
Back to top Go down
viperidae

viperidae

a mere shadow Empty
PostSubject: Re: a mere shadow   a mere shadow I_icon_minitimeSat 8 Dec 2012 - 1:35

Calder nodded in response to Maple's request and waited for other horse to awaken.

Oxy woke up about thirty minutes later, a headache to boot.
He moaned pitifully, wondering how he'd gotten into this situation-
The bloody owl.

"Sir," Who was that? Why couldn't he see?
"Sir, are you alright sir?"
Oxy began to panic, "I CAN'T BLOODY SEE HELP I'M BLIND-"
"Sir, you have your eyes closed."

Well that explained everything! "Oh good," Oxy said, opening his eyes.
"I thought that owl had cut out my eyes-" There was a long moment of silence as Oxy stared at Calder.
Then he screamed.
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH DON'T KILL ME, DON'T KILL ME DON'T KILL ME AAAAH HELP,"
Oxy scrambled to his hooves and began running in circles. "HEEEELP THERE'S A DEMON TRYING TO KILL ME IN MY SLEEP."

Calder stared blankly where the horse had been, confused at the sudden reaction.
"Sir, I'm not a demon, nor am I trying to kill you. Sir.."
Back to top Go down
Masquerade

Masquerade

a mere shadow Empty
PostSubject: Re: a mere shadow   a mere shadow I_icon_minitimeSat 8 Dec 2012 - 19:42

Well, this was not going to work out. Clearly.

Maple gave an abrupt snort in dismay. She wasn't going to be able to run away at all without him somehow following her. Great just great. And where was that Caroline. She was probably still lurking around, ready to pounce at any moment. Maple shivered. Perhaps if Caroline was around perhaps Sun would be? That would be helpful.

Glancing at the golden horse now running in circles she slowly proceeded towards the clearing edge. With a sigh she came back into view for both horses. Standing with her head held high she walked slowly across the clearing to stand next to Calder.

"He's not going to hurt you Oxy. Calm down."
Back to top Go down
viperidae

viperidae

a mere shadow Empty
PostSubject: Re: a mere shadow   a mere shadow I_icon_minitimeSun 9 Dec 2012 - 10:55

Oxy skidded to a halt, then looked with wide, hopeful silver eyes at Maple, as if to confirm she wasn't a imaginary image conjured up by a delusional mind.
Then he burst into speech; "Maple! God, I thought you were taken away by a monster! O-Or something terrible.. I don't know. A-and they all left! We went searching f-f-for you b-b-but y-you weren't an-anywhere at all! And neither was C-Caroline, she was gone too. Bloody left, and s-so it was j-just me, just me and S-Sun and Sun went to try-try and find you and she- she didn't come back and I've been lost for God knows how long a-and the bloody birds were attacking me a-and oh God it was t-terrible.."
He shuddered. "Bloody terrible, and I swear there were these terrible sounds in the woods and then that damned creature of evil showed up and chased me.. b-but at least your alri-alright. And n-not.. d-dead.. tremendous, really."
He'd momentarily forgotten about Calder in his adoration and rambles to Maple, before he glanced over at the creature and shuddered a little. It gave him strange chills. He didn't like it.
Back to top Go down
Masquerade

Masquerade

a mere shadow Empty
PostSubject: Re: a mere shadow   a mere shadow I_icon_minitimeSun 9 Dec 2012 - 11:22

"S-she followed me!?"

I knew it! I knew she would. Ugh this is bad, very bad. Maybe I lost her, oh god that would be wonderful.
Maple stood in utter alarm, her eyes rolling back to try and catch a glance at the trees behind her knowing that somewhere out there was a monster waiting to attack. Oh and there were lydes too.
Gosh, hadn't thought about the lydes. Yup shouldn't forget them.

"Y-yes, I'm fine..." She murmered, "Oxy, this is Calder. Calder, this is...Oxymoron."
She had to debate putting friend in to describe Oxy. She had just ditched him after all. Not intentionally. Well...
She had no other choice. It's not like she could just stay in her old clearing with a monster turning her into a monster, that would be awful, someone could get hurt.

On noticing Oxys shifty eyes on Calder, her heart softened for the big stallion.
"Oxy, Calder is a gentle-horse. He would never dream in harming you I promise."
Opening her jaw in a short yawn her eyes suddenly began to droop again.
"I need to sleep, I'll see you two in the morning... perhaps. I have a big day tomorrow. Try not to frighten each other to death."

Turning away she walked over to some shadows, lying down on a soft bed of grass, back to the others and closed her eyes, letting sleep take hold of her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

a mere shadow Empty
PostSubject: Re: a mere shadow   a mere shadow I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

a mere shadow
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Lakes Territory :: Lower Lakes Territory-
Jump to: